Avoid the seasonal perishable treat overstock and give your loved ones a cookie that will keep
on giving well into 2012. Guaranteed to please Dads, grads and anyone on your Christmas list who does not have a mouth full of expensive orthodonture.
Double Chocolate Walnut Biscotti
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 Tbs unsalted butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup walnuts
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
(this recipe is doubled, but you get the idea)
0. Preheat oven to 350, line baking sheet with parchment paper.
1. Combine/sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in bowl. Set aside.
2. Cream softened butter and sugar in the bowl of electric mixer with the paddle attachment.
3. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Add dry ingredients to mixer and combine on a low setting (4-5). Add walnuts and chocolate chips once dough has reached a consistent texture and is dark brown in color.
5. Scrape dough from mixing bowl and form a cylinder with your hands in the middle of the baking sheet.
6. Use a lightly floured rolling pin (or wine bottle, if your home kitchen is as poorly stocked as my own) to flatten the cylinder, starting in the middle of the dough. Slowly work the rolling pin down to the edges of the dough until it is about 3/4 inch in thickness (it will rise).
7. Bake giant flat brown thing for about 20 minutes at 350 or until the center resists when pressed lightly with a spoon. Let cool for at least 2 hours and, in the mean time, turn off your oven.
8. Reheat the oven to 250. Place cooled, oblong cookie on a cutting board and cut into 1/2 inch cookies with a bread knife or other serrated cutting tool. The ends will likely break off as you cut, which is to be expected as the edges will have cooked more quickly than the center of the cookie. It’s no secret biscotti are the less becoming of the cookie family but at least they’ve got some character.
9. Bake cookies for 20 minutes on each side. They will be dry and seem inedible, that’s the whole thing with biscotti. Store in an airtight container and enjoy with a warm beverage.