Because sweets aren’t just for dessert.
Pecan Coffee Cake
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup of butter (soft)
- 2 cups of sugar
- 3 cups of flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup of butter
- 3/4 cup of flour
- 1.5 cups brown sugar
- 2 Tbs cinnamon
- 1.5 cups pecans
Cinnamon Crumb Topping Preparation:
1. Combine butter, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl. Stir until combined. Add pecans. Now, let there be cake.
Coffee Cake Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 350. Butter and flour the inside of loaf pans (my pictures show the mini loaves that I bake for work, but I think this comes out better when the batter is not divided and bakes in larger baking pan).
2. In mixing bowl beat 3 egg whites and 1/4 cup of the sugar with whisk attachment on high speed until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes). Save yolks in a bowl and set aside. Scrape whites out of mixing bowl and into another container.
3. Cream butter and remaining sugar together in the mixing bowl with the paddle attachment.
4. Add egg yolks to butter and sugar until thoroughly combined. Make sure the scrape the sides of the bowl at least a few times before proceeding.
5. Sift/stir together dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt) and add about 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the mixer. Combine on low speed.
6. Add about 1/3 of the whole milk to mixer. Repeat steps 5 and 6 until all of the dry ingredients and milk have been incorporated into the batter. It will be lumpy.
7. Spoon batter from mixing bowl over the egg whites and fold gently.
8. Fill loaf pans one third of the depth with batter and sprinkle about half of the cinnamon topping in the center.
9. Repeat step 8.
10. Bake at 350. Bake time depends on the type of loaf pan you use (20 minutes for the miniature ones and about 1 hour for the traditional 9 x 5 ish sized pan).
Tip: Make sure to take a knife around the edges before trying to coax the cooked cake out of the pan.