Sponge-like, skinny French pancakes, filled to your tastes!
- 1.5 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 Tbs vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 cup flour
1. Beat eggs until smooth. Add oil and milk, stirring well after each addition. Whisk wet ingredients until bubbles form and they are completely combined.
2. Add flour slowly and whisk until no lumps are visible.
3. Set aside for 1 hour so that the batter can reach room temperature.
4. Heat flat bottomed frying pan over medium heat until a drop of water sizzles and jumps around the pan. (If the water evaporates, the skillet will be too hot.)
5. Grease pan with 1/4 tsp of butter.
6. Stir the batter and pour about 1/4 of a cup in the center of the pan, quickly rotating it so that the batter flows quickly across the surface. Drips are a-okay, they add character.
7. The crêpe should immediately set and form tiny bubbles. If batter makes a smooth layer, the pan is too cool. Cook for about 40 seconds before coaxing an edge off the pan and flipping the crêpe with your fingertips.
8. Cook the underside for another 20 seconds (it will not brown like the outer side).
9. Fill crêpes with whatever filling you choose–sweet or savory–and roll. Serve hot. Some ideas:
Sweetened Greek Yogurt and Blackberry Jam
Scrambled Eggs and Pico De Gallo
Butter, Brown Sugar & Cinnamon