Snack guilt-free on these flaky, cheesy crackers – made with love and preservative free!
“Just Like Cheez-It®” Crackers
- 1 cup flour
- 4 Tbs cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 8 oz of sharp cheddar cheese, cut into cubes
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 5 Tbs cold water
- itty bitty cookie cutter or knife to section dough
1. Put flour, butter, cheese, salt, and cayenne pepper into a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse until all the ingredients are combined.
2. Add water 1 Tbs at a time, and mix until the dough forms a ball in the bowl of the processor.
3. Press dough into a disk shape (to make rolling it out later a little easier), wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and gently roll until desired thickness is reached. Use a cookie cutter (mine’s a bat!) to press shapes into the dough, or use a knife to cut the dough into cracker sized squares.
5. Carefully place the cut dough on a parchment lined baking pan making sure they are at least a half inch apart. Bake for 10 – 12 minutes on a center rack until they just begin to brown. Let the crackers cool on a wire rack and taste a few. At this point they should still be slightly soft in the middle, and if that’s your thing, you’re done. If you prefer a flakier, crispier cracker, keep on reading.
6. Set oven to 250 degrees. Toss cooled crackers on a baking sheet (they can touch, overlap at this point) and bake for 15 – 10 minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally to prevent any burning edges. Once the crackers reach the right level of crispness, pull them from the oven and enjoy!
Friends love ’em!