Quite possibly the best discovery of my summer, I can’t believe I haven’t had one sooner. My freezer is stocked with these and I plan to keep it that way. These are incredibly easy to prepare, and another wonderful way to use up all those bad bananas (which now has its own category!).
Make some today and find out why, “[t]here’s always money in the banana stand.”
Alternate endings: I’ve been told that frozen bananas are also quite tasty when dipped in flavored yogurt. Obviously, my first thought would be to roll them in granola, but you could also keep them a skinny treat and go light on the toppings. I’ve also heard tales of mixing peanut butter in yogurt and covering the banana as a quick and easy after workout snack. I plan to try both of these and will report back.
Frozen Chocolate Bananas
- 6 overripe bananas
- 12 popsicle sticks (or skip them and make frozen chocolate banana bites)
- 10 ounces chocolate chips
- 3 Tbs unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 Tbs light corn syrup
- Optional Topping – I’m using peanuts and crushed chocolate chip cookies
1. Peel and half bananas. Insert popsicle stick halfway into cut end. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and freeze for three hours.
2. Once the bananas have frozen, place the chocolate chips and butter into a microwave safe bowl and nuke for 30 seconds, stir, and repeat once more.
3. Heat the cream and corn syrup in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir and pour it over the just melted chocolate. Let this sit for 5 minutes without stirring, then, when you can’t take it any longer, stir until the cream and the chocolate combine.
4. Ok this is the best step. Dip the bananas into the melted chocolate and roll in the crushed topping of your choice. I highly recommend the crushed chocolate chip cookie route.
5. Freeze for at least another twenty minutes. Serve and enjoy.
Share them with a friend.